(KFVS) - Cooling centers helping people beat the summer heat. More information is at Keep Cool Illinois and at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Illinois Department of Human Services cooling centers are open during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call the Illinois Department of Human Services hotline at (800) 843-6154 for more information.
- Franklin County Emergency Management Agency in cooperation with the Village of West City and American Red Cross will open a community shelter location at the West City Community Center. The site will be for any Franklin County resident in need of cooling and/or overnight sleeping accommodations. Contact West City Dispatch at 618-435-6112 for questions.
- Carterville: Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact 1(618)-985-8060 for questions.
- Herrin City Hall: Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Enter through the front entrance of the building.
- Herrin Hospital will serve as a cooling center between the hours of 10 am until 6 pm through the weekend.?
- The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Herrin High School, 700 North 10th Street, Herrin, IL for residents affected by power outage and storm damage. Anyone needing a safe and cool place to stay is encouraged to come to the shelter at the Herrin High School. Residents should bring any medications or medical equipment they need and personal hygiene items.
- Creal Springs City Hall: Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. until noon Monday through Friday.
- Illinois Department of Human Services Marion office located at 1107 W. DeYoung Street: Hours of operation are from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Pittsburg City Hall: Hours of operation are from 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Cambria City Hall: Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center: (573) 335-7846: Hours: Mon 7:30a-4:30p | Tue 8:30a-4:30p | Wed 8:30a-4:30p | Thu 8:30a-4:30p | Fri 8:30a-4:30p | Sat Closed | Sun Closed.
- Cape Girardeau Public Library: 573) 334-5279: Hours: Mon 9a-9p | Tue 9a-9p | Wed 9a-9p | Thu 9a-9p | Fri 9a-5p | Sat 9a-5p | Sun 1p-5p
- Salvation Army of Cape Girardeau: (573) 335-7000: Hours: Mon 9a-4p | Tue 9a-4p | Wed 9a-4p | Thu 9a-4p | Fri 9a-2p | Sat Closed | Sun Closed
- Poplar Bluff: Butler County Health Department: (573) 785-8478: Hours: Mon 8a-5p | Tue 8a-5p | Wed 8a-5p | Thu 8a-5p | Fri 8a-5p | Sat Closed | Sun Closed.
- Poplar Bluff Public Library: (573) 686-8639: Hours: Mon 9a-7p | Tue 9a-7p | Wed 9a-7p | Thu 9a-7p | Fri 10a-5p | Sat 10a-5p | Sun 1p-5p
The Doniphan United Methodist Church is setting up a cooling center. They are located at 305 Plum Street.Pastor Kent Wilfong said they will have cold water and air conditioning for anybody that needs to cool off. He added they will provide this service anytime the National Weather Service issues a heat advisory.
As the summer heats up, stay safe and stay cool.