CARMI, IL (KFVS) - Drivers are asked to be safe this Fourth of July holiday. Illinois State Police (ISP) District 19 Commander, Captain Cory Ristvedt, would like to remind motorists to drive sober or designate a sober driver while celebrating.
Police are asking celebrators to follow these tips:
- Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
- Designate a sober driver before the drinking begins.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely.
- If you see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911.
- If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to safely get to where they are going.
Troopers will focus on identifying the "Fatal 4" traffic violations: DUI, Speeding, Seatbelts and Distracted Driving, which are all contributing factors to traffic crash-related fatalities.
Police said to remember to drive responsibly and share the road with other drivers. This July holiday will be safer and more enjoyable if we all work together.