JACKSON, MO (KFVS) - The City of Jackson Board of Aldermen has designated Jackson's first Historic Landmark, The Old McKendree Chapel.
McKendree Chapel Memorial Foundation applied to have the Old McKendree Chapel and Cemetery designated as the first Landmark under the city's Historic Preservation Ordinance. This marks the first application reviewed by the Historic Preservation Commission, which was established in 2017.
Constructed in 1819 of hand-hewn poplar logs on a frontier site where camp meetings trace back to 1806, Old McKendree Chapel is a National Methodist Shrine and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984.
The National Register nomination documents the chapel as the oldest surviving Protestant church in Missouri, predating the statehood of Missouri. Historic preservation of this church first began with a restoration in 1933 and it is recognized as an early example of historic preservation in Missouri.
The Chapel has continued to be maintained in its original form, with the 1958 addition of a canopy covering and protecting the entire structure. Worship services are still held there annually. McKendree Chapel Memorial Foundation is the trustee for the property, which has been expanded in size to include additional acreage beyond the original chapel and cemetery grounds. More information on the history of this site can be found here.
This designation under the city's historic preservation ordinance includes a requirement that the Historic Preservation Commission review and approve exterior property renovations, alterations, and demolitions to ensure they are consistent with the design guidelines of the city's historic preservation ordinance and retain the historic character of the property.