Kennett man faces felony charges after cat killed by his dog

Published: Aug. 1, 2017 at 6:07 PM CDT|Updated: Aug. 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
These kittens were orphaned as a result of the attack. (Source: Kennett Humane Department)
These kittens were orphaned as a result of the attack. (Source: Kennett Humane Department)

KENNETT, MO (KFVS) - A Kennett man is behind bars after he allegedly let his dog rip a cat in half while the cat was still alive.

All of this allegedly happened near the 600 block of Everett Street in Kennett

According to the Kennett Humane Department, a woman called police on July 25 to report that a man was catching cats in the neighborhood and allowing his dog to attack them. It happened in the 600 block of South Everett.

The victim said she heard what she thought was a knock on her door around midnight on July 24. She said she saw Zachary Burns grab her cat and walk out into the road with his dog. She told officers that Burns held her cat by the hind legs and tail and allowed the dog to attack her cat.

She told investigators the dog "ripped apart the head and torso while it was still alive, finally ripping the cat in half."

The woman told officers she couldn't stop Burns from killing her cat. She said that Burns "thought it was funny."

According to Kennett Police, Burns' neighbor said he has been catching cats and letting his dog eat them.

The Animal Control Officer in Kennett, Tena Petix, said this isn't the first time she's had problem with Burns or his dog.

"The dog was actually court ordered to be removed from city limits and not to be brought back in so I'm sure there will be a ruling on that... and ... but the dog is... it was taught to be that way I mean," Petix said.

An officer actually shot the dog in 2016 when it attempted to attack the officer.

Burns faces charges of felony animal abuse and felony harassment. He is being held on $10,000 cash only bond.

As a result of the incident, two kittens were orphaned. Both kittens are being cared for at the Kennett Humane Department.

Burns allegedly threatened the woman in the most recent incident to try and get her not to tell the police.

His arraignment was today and he is due back in court next week.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2017 KFVS. All rights reserved.