Cape Girardeau man found guilty in connection to Ranney Park homicide

Guilty verdict in 2016 shooting death
Clarissa Simpson (Source: Cape Girardeau Police Department)
Clarissa Simpson (Source: Cape Girardeau Police Department)
(Source: KFVS)
(Source: KFVS)

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - A Cape Girardeau man was found guilty of murder in connection with a homicide near Ranney Park in May 2016.

Malcolm U. Harris, 24, was found guilty of second-degree murder, armed criminal action, unlawful possession of a firearm and tampering with physical evidence.

Sentencing has been set for Nov. 17 at 2 p.m.

Harris was arrested on Friday, May 27, 2016 in connection to the murder of Domorlo Morris McCaster, 28, of Cape Girardeau.

Clarissa Simpson, of Cape Girardeau, is also facing charges related to the case.

According to the probable cause statement, the owner of the gold 2004 GMC Envoy and Simpson left the vehicle at the owner's sister's house in Dyersburg, Tenn. on Sunday, May 15.

When the sister got into the vehicle, she told authorities she noticed blood on the inside, by the passenger's seat. She claimed there was also bleach stains on the passenger seat, a bottle of bleach in the vehicle and authorities say she told them she could tell it had a strong odor of bleach and blood based on her previous experience as a phlebotomist, or someone trained to draw blood for testing, transfusions, etc.

Several days later, the woman said she questioned her sister, the vehicle's owner, about the blood in the vehicle.

Her sister's boyfriend allegedly said he was driving the Envoy at some point before taking it to Dyersburg and that he witnessed Domorlo McCaster being shot in the head and killed by a backseat passenger.

On May 25, authorities interviewed the owner of the Envoy. She told them that on Saturday morning she was at Clarissa Simpson's house on Montgomery Street.

She told authorities when she got in her truck she saw blood in the front passenger side area.

According to the probable cause statement, she said her boyfriend told her something happened in her truck. She said she helped clean out the truck with a rag and a bowl of "some stuff."

Authorities say the woman clarified that when she first came out of the house, her boyfriend was allegedly already cleaning up the truck with another man, whom she identified as Malcolm Harris, standing nearby.

She allegedly told investigators that Simpson was helping to get the cleaning supplies from the house while they were cleaning up the blood.

She said she and Simpson took her vehicle across the river into Illinois, parked it on a side road and left it there for a few days. She said Simpson then drove her back to Cape Girardeau.

According to court documents, at around 4:11 p.m. on Thursday, May 19, Cape Girardeau police responded to the area of Willow Street and Middle Street where they found a man's body. The body was later identified that as of McCaster's.

Court documents state the autopsy revealed that McCaster died as a result of a gunshot wound. The condition of his body at the time of the initial report led detectives to believe he had been dead for a several days prior to his body being found.

During the investigation, detectives say they received an anonymous call stating the victim was sitting in a gold vehicle when he was shot in the head and killed.

Detectives say they learned from several witnesses the victim was last seen in a gold GMC Envoy with Malcolm Harris and two other people.

According to the probable cause statement, the first witness told detectives that some time in the early morning hours of May 13 or May 14, he was sitting in the driver's seat of the gold GMC Envoy, which was parked, along with McCaster, Harris and another person.

The first witness said McCaster was sitting in the front passenger seat and Harris was sitting behind him. Another person was sitting behind the first witness.

According to the first witness, he heard a gunshot and jumped out of the vehicle, along with the second witness. He told detectives he saw Harris holding a semi-automatic handgun in his right hand.

Harris allegedly handed the first witness the gun and asked him to get rid of it.

According to the second witness, he saw Harris holding a black handgun with an extended clip. He told detectives he saw Harris pull the trigger and shoot McCaster in the back of the head.

The second witness said he saw McCaster slump over the middle of the console. He said he then opened his door and took off running.

According to the first witness, he and Harris drove to a wooded area to dispose of McCaster's body.

Domorlo Morris McCaster, 28, of Cape Girardeau was found dead in the wooded area near Ranney Park on Thursday, May 19.

Sgt. Adam Glueck with the Cape Girardeau Police Department said McCaster's body was found in the 600 block of Ranney Ave.

The body was reportedly found by a neighbor along the tree line around 4 p.m.

We talked to McCaster's father on Friday and he said the family is still taking in this tragic incident and they are asking for privacy at this time.

According to Cape Girardeau Police Chief Wes Blair, he was reported missing the morning of May 19.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.