Missouri roads see the highest number of fatalities in 3 years
JEFFERSON CITY, MO (KFVS) - The year ended with an 11.4 percent increase in deaths on Missouri roads after two years of lower numbers.
Missouri fatalities were more than 800 for the first time since 2012.
As of December 31, 20125, 853 lives were reportedly lost as a result of a traffic accident.
Sixty-three percent of those accident's included people not wearing a seat belt.
MoDOT offers tips to help prevent fatal crashes:
- Never drive distracted
- Drive the speed limit and reduce speed for weather conditions
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Always wear a seat belt and make sure your passengers are as well
- Never drive impaired by alcohol, illegal or prescription drugs
- Maintain a safe following distance behind other vehicles
- Obey Missouri traffic laws
Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.