Flooded roads in the Heartland
(KFVS) - Dozens of roads across the Heartland are under water after heavy rain and rising river levels.
Turn around, don't drown. Drivers should use caution in areas where signs indicate water is possible or on the road by reducing speed and avoiding the water covered portions of the roadway.
Seeing these water hazards may be especially difficult during darkness. Driving through the water in these areas at normal speeds could result in loss of control or being pulled of the road. Only two feet of moving water can sweep a vehicle off the road.
Those caught driving around "road closed" barricades and sign could be cited for traffic violations.
Flooded roads in Missouri
The Missouri Department of Conservation wants waterfowl hunters and others to know that rising flood waters will most likely force staff to close the Ten Mile Pond Conservation Area for public safety at some point over the next few days. According to the MDC, the closure will happen when flood waters cover the low points on Hwy. FF, which leads off of Hwy. AA and on to Hwy. VV into the conservation area. Other roads leading to Ten Mile Pond are already inaccessible due to high water.
The Missouri Department of Transportation is reporting the following road closures and/or blockages as of Tuesday, Jan. 12.
Cape Girardeau County
- Kingshighway - at MO 74 ending 1.13 miles after MO 74 E
- Cape Girardeau (As of 8 a.m. on Jan. 8)
- 3rd at Main
- 3rd at Water
- 2nd at Closed at Main
- Rand at Water
- Rand at Johnson
- Riverview at Johnson
- East Cape Rock at Winner’s Circle
- North End Blvd at Big Bend, and N. Fountain
- South Sprigg St. near the quarry (Source: MoDOT)
- Route F – from CR 164 to CR 165 (Crane Pond Creek)
New Madrid-Mississippi County
- Due to current river levels the Birds Point New Madrid Floodway front line levee is closed between Birds Point and New Madrid, Mo. This closure is in effect until the river levels fall below 43 feet on the Cairo gauge and 34 feet on the New Madrid gauge. Closure signs are posted and persons driving on the front line levee may be cited for arrested for trespassing.
- Route 102 - beginning 3.78 miles after MO 80 E and ending 2.91 miles before Route YY W
- Route 77 – from Route A to the Ferry
- Route 80 – from Levee Rd to end of state maintenance
- Route 60/62 - at the river
- Route FF - 2.01 miles after RT YY W ending .05 miles before RT AA W
New Madrid County
- Route 162 4.27 miles before RT Me, ending 2.57 miles before RT M E
- Route P - RT BB ending 2.8 miles before I-55 N
- Route V - 2.04 miles after Route P W ending 1.32 miles before MO 80 E
- Route WW - beginning at RT P W and ending 8.51 miles after RT P E
- Route 164 - from Levee Road to CR 553
The Route 51 Bridge in Perry County (Chester Bridge) over the Mississippi River opened Monday, Jan. 4 at 7 p.m. following clean-up.
- Route E – from CR 322 to CR 354
- Route CC – From CR 464 to Wayne County line
- Route E – from CR 342 to Washington Street
- Route D - beginning 2.99 miles after MO 153 N ending 2.68 miles before MO 25 S
While floodwaters continue to drop, Keith Todd with KYTC says they are watching the outflow from Kentucky Dam and Barkley Dam. Release rates could inundate some additional roadways in the counties immediately downstream. Crews will be out checking potential trouble spots through the weekend.
He said there is also the possibility of a snow dusting over the weekend. The Snow & Ice Team has crews on alert and they will respond appropriately. Rain ahead of the snow ill prohibit pre-treating.
Below freezing temperatures for the next several days will create the possibility of icing whenever and wherever moisture is on road surfaces, including some locations where floodwaters remain on highway surfaces. Motorists should be aware of the potential for black ice at any location where moisture is on the pavement.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is reporting the following road closures and/or blockages as of Tuesday, Jan. 12 at 11 a.m.
According to KYTC, they continue to work with area police and emergency management agencies to monitor closure sites. They say they've had a number of locations where people continue to remove Road Closed signs and drive through floodwaters.
KYTC says barricades at several locations have been reinforced with piles of asphalt millings blocking the road.
The US 51 Ohio River "Cairo" Bridge opened at 7 a.m. on Friday.
The US 51/US 60/US 62 Ohio River "Cairo" Bridge between Kentucky and Illinois had been closed since the early morning hours of Thursday, Dec. 31 because floodwaters covered the bridge approach levee at the Kentucky end of the span.
The road was closed to traffic at about 12:20 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 31. U.S. 51 was also closed south of Wickliffe near the Ballard-Carlisle County line a short time later.
All highways in Hickman County are now open.
- KY 1483 is CLOSED near the 3 mile marker due to a culvert washout. This is along KY 1438 between KY 80 and Elmdale Road. Replacement or repair will be an extended process.
- KY 1354/Ferry Landing Road at Hickman is CLOSED. The Dorena-Hickman Ferry is CLOSED due to floodwaters covering the Kentucky Landing. Closed until the river drops below about 40 ft. on the Cairo Gauge.
- KY 1129/Adams Road is closed from the 4-9 mile marker
- KY 2140 is CLOSED at the 2 to 4 mile marker between KY 1129 and KY 94
- KY 1255/Bonds Road has Water Over Road at 2mm—signs posted. This section is also serving as a detour for KY 348 which is closed near Hardmoney for construction of a new bridge.
- KY 1420/Noble Road is OPEN
Flooded roads in Illinois
The Illinois Department of Transportation is reporting these road closures and/or blockages as of Tuesday, Jan. 12.
The US 51 Ohio River "Cairo" Bridge opened at 7 a.m. Friday. The US 51/US 60/US 62 Ohio River "Cairo" Bridge between Kentucky and Illinois had been closed since the early morning hours of Friday, Dec. 31 because floodwaters covered the bridge approach levee at the Kentucky end of the span.
SB US-67 from Clark Bridge to IL-143 closed due to flooding. (Madison County)
Water Street (Truck ByPass) in Chester- Randolph Co. closed until sand is removed.
- Old Rt-IL-3 at Gale Pump House in Alexander Cnty closed due to flooding.
Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.