Man found walking down TN interstate carrying handgun, ax

Published: Dec. 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DYERSBURG, TN (KFVS) - A man from Union City, Tennessee who was found walking down Interstate 155 with weapons was arrested and is now facing weapons and drug charges.

On December 10, 2015 at approximately 9:56 a.m. officers responded to All In One, located at 810 Highway 51 Bypass in reference to what was described as a suspicious situation.

Employees told officers that a man had abandoned a silver Jeep at the gas pumps and left walking north on Lake Road with two dogs, and never returned.

Moments later the man and the two dogs were found on I-155 near the Lake Road interchange with a handgun in one hand and an ax in the other.

The subject, later identified as Mark Grooms, 26, of Union City, was ordered at gunpoint to drop the weapons.

He complied and was taken into custody.

It was found upon a search that Grooms was armed with a handgun and had a hatchet, a shotgun and rifle in a duffel bag, along with a large quantity of ammunition for all the weapons that were found to be loaded at the time of arrest.

Grooms was also in possession of two different types of illegal drugs and a large amount of cash.

At the time of arrest officers say Grooms appeared to be under the influence of some type of drug and was speaking incoherently about going to a church and "rallying with his people about getting someone."

The investigation determined that no direct threat was made to a local church, but due to the circumstances the FBI was notified to assist with the investigation.

Grooms was charged with public intoxication, possession of a weapon with intent to go armed, possession of marijuana, possession of methamphetamine, possession of a weapon while under the influence, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell and introducing contraband into a penal institution, as he was found to have additional drugs on his person while being searched at the Dyer County Law Enforcement Center.

Grooms made an initial appearance in Dyersburg City Court Friday morning and bond was set at $100,000.

The next appearance in Dyersburg City Court will be Tuesday, December 15 at 4 p.m.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.