Cape Girardeau vape store manager talks safety after Memphis e-cig incident
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - A Memphis, Tennessee man is in the hospital after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.
The incident has some asking about the safety of e-cigs. While many electronic cigarette users say this incident doesn't worry them, the manager at Soo Vape in downtown Cape Girardeau said the key to staying safe is educating yourself on the products.
"See this battery has a screen," Taylor Moore said.
Moore knows the ins and outs of e-cigs.
"The unregulated devices are the ones that could be viewed as the most potentially dangerous," Moore said.
He said rare incidents, like the recent one in Memphis, can leave users concerned.
"I can't sit here and tell you that's not a potential, because it is. The odds of it are astronomically low," Moore said.
Most users KFVS-TV heard from agree.
One man blames the incident on user error and said nothing will make him stop using his e-cig. However, another person commented, saying the electronic devices "don't seem like a safer alternative to cigarettes."
Taylor said if you're unfamiliar with vaping, chose your device wisely.
"Short circuit protection, low voltage protection, low resistance protection, and all that is to keep the user safe," Moore said.
He said with the more advanced devices, you have to be more careful.
"It takes about three minutes of a continuous short for a battery to reach the point of what's called venting, where out of this positive end, bad things start to come out of there like battery acid or anything like that and in that time, that battery is going to reach a temperature of around 8-to-900 degrees," Moore said.
The main thing is, he said, know what you're dealing with.
"Do research if at all possible, there is some science that goes behind this," Moore said.
Moore said if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to stop by at 703 Broadway in Cape Girardeau or send them a Facebook message.
Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.