PADUCAH, KY (KFVS) - John Cooper of the Murray Police Department and Justin Crowell of the Paducah Police Department are being recognized for completing the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training's Academy of Police Supervision.
They were joined by 18 other officers from departments across the commonwealth.
The Academy of Police Supervision is known as the sergeant's academy.
It consists of 120 hour training program done over three weeks in Richmond, Ky. The class is for new or soon to be promoted sergeants.
The students participate in classes focusing on the role of a supervisor, as well as leadership, resolving conflict, managing diversity, monitoring officer performance, professional image, legal issues for supervisors, ethics, interpersonal communication, effective written communication, making decisions, solving problems, managing critical incidents, public speaking, emotional survival, budgeting, media relations and others.
The Department of Criminal Justice Training is a state agency located on Eastern Kentucky University's campus.
The agency is the first in the nation to be accredited under the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies' public safety training program designation.
DOCJT also earned accreditation through the International Association for Continuing Education and Training in 2013 – making it the nation's only law enforcement training academy to achieve dual accreditation by two independent accrediting organizations.
APS Class 62 graduates and their agencies are:
- Chris Barton - Allen County Sheriff’s Office
- John Cooper - Murray Police Department
- Justin P. Crowell - Paducah Police Department
- Abbie L. Darst - Department of Criminal Justice Training
- Donnie J. Duff - University of Kentucky Police Department
- Brian J. Ferayorni - Independence Police Department
- Jonathan K. Fields - Frankfort Police Department
- Carrie A. Folsom - Kentucky Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Christopher G. Goshorn - Ft. Thomas Police Department
- Timothy D. Gray - Western Kentucky University Police Department
- Michael L. Huffman - Mt. Washington Police Department
- James H. Jarboe - Henderson Police Department
- Jon Lesher - Louisville Metro Police Department
- Adam B. McGuire - Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport Police Department
- Matthew T. Meyer - Campbell County Police Department
- Malcolm Xavier Miller - Louisville Metro Police Department
- Brent D. Moening - Ft. Thomas Police Department
- Richard A. Reynolds - London Police Department
- Byron C. Richardson - Lebanon Police Department
- William J. Strader - Madisonville Police Department
- Nathan S. Taylor - University of Kentucky Police Department