Man arrested after chase with Williamson County Sheriff, deputies

A 31-year-old man is facing a long list of charges after the Williamson County Sheriff said he led him and his deputies on a chase through Herrin.
Published: Nov. 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HERRIN, Ill. (KFVS) - A 31-year-old man is facing a long list of charges after the Williamson County Sheriff said he led him and his deputies on a chase through Herrin.

According to Williamson County Sheriff Jeff Diederich, he and two of his deputies were conducting crime suppression patrol operations throughout the County when they noticed a man driving a black motorcycle without any registration.

Deputies activated their emergency lights and attempted to stop the motorcycle.

This was around 12:04 on Thursday, November 9 in the area of Oak Street and 22nd Street in Herrin.

Sheriff Diederich said the motorcyclist, later identified as Billy J. Jeralds, looked over his shoulder at the patrol vehicle and accelerated the motorcycle, continuing westbound on Oak Street at around 70 mph.

Deputies chased after Jeralds.

During the chase, Jeralds came to the railroad tracks near the intersection of 27th Street and Walnut. He reportedly left the roadway to the west and drove over the railroad tracks before getting stuck in a yard.

A deputy got out of his patrol unit and tried to grab Jeralds, but was unsuccessful.

The sheriff said Jeralds then continued to recklessly drive throughout multiple blocks in Herrin, riding through residential lawns, traveling in opposite lanes and violating numerous traffic laws.

Jeralds driving came to an end when he crossed West Tyler Street and entered a field near 501 North 33rd Street.

This is where his motorcycle got stuck in the field.

Jeralds then took off running running.

Deputies in their patrol vehicles caught up with Jeralds in a backyard in the 500 block of North 35th Street.

This is where Sheriff Diederich got out of the patrol vehicle and ran after Jeralds.

Sheirff Diederich said he gave Jeralds numerous warnings to stop.

The chase came to an end after Sheriff Diederich and a deputy arriving on the opposite side of a building were able to corner Jeralds.

The sheriff said Jeralds resisted efforts to take him into custody and a Taser was used.

Jeralds was then taken into custody without further incident.

During the arrest, the sheriff’s office learned Jeralds was not compliant with the requirements to register as a sex offender.

Jeralds was arrested and cited with the following charges:

  • Aggravated fleeing and eluding
  • Resisting arrest
  • Violation of sex offender registry, duty to register
  • Driving while license suspended
  • No valid driver’s license
  • Reckless driving
  • Speeding
  • No valid registration
  • Failure to signal when required
  • Disobey stop sign
  • Operating uninsured vehicle
  • Improper lane usage

Jeralds was taken and booked into the Williamson County Jail.