Michael Carneal denied parole, to remain behind bars

The full Kentucky Parole Board will meet on Monday morning to decide if Heath High School shooter, Michael Carneal, is eligible to be released from prison.
Published: Sep. 26, 2022 at 5:12 AM CDT|Updated: Sep. 26, 2022 at 12:30 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FRANKFORT, Ky. (KFVS) - Michael Carneal will remain behind bars.

This was the decision of the Kentucky Parole Board when they met on Monday, September 26 to decide if Heath High School shooter, Michael Carneal, was eligible to be released from prison.

The board took up the case in Frankfort shortly after 7:30 a.m.

After a call of order the Parole Board entered into executive session at 7:45 a.m. to discuss whether or not Carneal should be released or stay behind bars.

The board then came out of the closed door meeting about 30 minutes later and voted aloud on Carneal’s fate.

In a unanimous vote, seven Parole Board members said Carneal should serve out his life sentence. He will not get another chance to seek parole.

He would have been officially eligible for parole November 16.

The Kentucky Parole Board released a statement after their decision, which said the “decision was made in compliance with Kentucky law and in effort to maintain a delicate balance between public safety, victim rights, reintegration of the offender and recidivism.”

Carneal’s parole hearing came nearly 25 years after he opened fire on his classmates at Heath High School.

Three students were killed and five others were injured in the December 1, 1997 mass shooting.

Last week, two parole board members heard from the family members of the three students Carneal killed.

The five injured in the shooting were also given the chance to speak to the parole board.

Of the seven people who testified, six want Carneal to remain behind bars.

On the second day of the initial parole hearing, the board questioned the now 39-year-old Carneal.

Carneal blamed his mental health condition for his actions nearly 25 years ago.

He admitted he knew right from wrong when he committed mass murder as a 14 year old.

Carneal told the two parole board members he heard voices back then and he still hears voices now.

After deliberating for about 25 minutes, the two parole members said they were unable to agree on a decision, therefore decided to send the matter to the full Parole Board.