Residents evacuated after large fire at St. Louis County, Mo. chemical plant
ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. (KFVS/CBS) - Residents were evacuated on Thursday afternoon, April 29 after a large fire in Affton.
The massive fire at Manor Chemicals Plant injured a firefighter and forced the evacuation of hundreds of people.
It happened around 2:30 p.m. and quickly grew. Smoke from the fire could be seen for miles.
Officials said the mushroom cloud was 400 feet in the air.
All employees were evacuated and none of them were injured.
Early reports say the fire may have started from an electrical short or static electricity.
The St. Louis County Police Department assisted the Affton Fire Protection District and other agencies with the commercial building fire in the 600 block of Heege Road.
They evacuated everyone within a half-mile radius of the fire.
The American Red Cross was staged at the Affton Elks Lodge to help those displaced.
Just before 6 p.m. on Thursday, police said the fire was extinguished.
They said first responders would remain on scene into the evening.
Copyright 2021 KFVS. All rights reserved. CBS contributed to this story.