CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - The Cape Girardeau Fire Department practiced their extrication skills on March 4.
Extrication is when the department cuts someone out of a car after a crash.
According to Fire Rescue 1, a firefighter information and resource company there are five steps to extrication.
- Fire fighters first spread the rear door window to access the rear door latch.
- They then use the spreaders, a car cutting tool, to cut the rear door latch.
- Fighters then make a relief cut.
- They then slowly work the cut larger and larger.
- The last step is to cut the “B post,” or the pillar that supports the roof.
Midwest truck provided the car.