2021 Great Race makes stop in Cape Girardeau
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - The route for the 2021 Great Race was announced, and participants stopped in Cape Girardeau on June 22.
The drivers arrived between 5 and 6:30 p.m.
A Cape Girardeau man, participating in the event with his restored 1950 Lincoln, lead the race downtown.
There was a cruise-in along Main Street and Water Street, from Broadway down to Independence and William Street.
Businesses on the Great Race route were encouraged to decorate their business’ windows and/or lawns to celebrate their arrival on June 22.
Some businesses also be extended their hours to draw new faces into their stores.
The 37th annual event will make scenic stops along 2,300 miles through several states.
More than $150,000 in prize money will be awarded to the top finishers in each class.
The race route is below.
Saturday, June 19
- Start: Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, TX - 8 a.m. to noon
- Lunch: Courthouse Square, downtown San Marcos, TX - noon
- Overnight: Santa Fe Plaza, Temple, TX - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday, June 20
- Lunch: Lake Granbury Conference Center, Granbury, TX - noon
- Overnight: Horton Classic Car Museum, Nocona, TX - 4:15 p.m.
Monday, June 21
- Lunch: Heart of Route 66 Auto Museum, Sapulpa, OK - 12:15 p.m.
- Overnight: Main Street, downtown Joplin, MO - 5 p.m.
Tuesday, June 22
- Lunch: Benton Square on East 5th Street, Rolla, MO - 11:45 a.m.
- Overnight: Main Street, downtown Cape Girardeau, MO - 5:15 p.m.
Wednesday, June 23
- Lunch: Broadway and Water Street, downtown Paducah, KY - noon
- Overnight: Veterans Blvd., downtown Owensboro, KY - 5 p.m.
Thursday, June 24
- Lunch: Elizabethtown Sports Park, Elizabethtown, KY - 11:30 a.m.
- Overnight: Griffin Gate Marriott, Lexington, KY - 5 p.m.
Friday, June 25
- Lunch: Heritage Station, 11th Street, downtown Huntington, WV - 11:40 a.m.
- Overnight: Word Park, Neville Street, downtown Beckley, WV - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 26
- Lunch: Main Street, downtown Galax, VA - 11:15 a.m.
- Overnight: Main Street, downtown Mooresville, NC - 5 p.m.
Sunday, June 27
- Finish: Hyatt Regency, Main Street, downtown Greenville, SC - 1 p.m.
According to the event website, 120 cars are participating in the 2021 race.
Teams and cars from Japan, England, Germany, Canada and every corner of the United States will be participating in vintage automobiles dating back as far as 1916.
The Great Race began in 1983 with Tom McRae and Norman Miller. It was named from the 1965 movie “The Great Race,” which starred Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood and Peter Falk.
It is not a speed race, but a time/speed/distance rally. The vehicles, each with a driver and a navigator, are given instructions each day that detail every move down to the second. They are scored at secret check points along the way and are penalized one second for each second they are either early or late.
Copyright 2021 KFVS. All rights reserved.