2nd murder suspect arrested in West Virginia in connection to Poplar Bluff shooting

Updated: Jan. 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. (KFVS) - A wanted man was arrested in West Virginia in connection to a deadly shooting in early December.

Stacy Gipson was arrested in Charleston, West Virginia on Monday, January 4.

He was charged on Dec. 1 with first-degree murder, first-degree assault or attempted assault, attempted robbery - first degree and three counts of armed criminal action.

Christopher “Jantzen” Gilmore, of Poplar Bluff, was previously arrested and charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault, three counts of armed criminal action and attempted robbery - first degree.

Gilmore has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Jan. 14.

Christopher “Jantzen” Gilmore
Christopher “Jantzen” Gilmore(Poplar Bluff Police Department)

According to the Poplar Bluff Police Department, Gipson was believed to have fled the state after the shooting.

On December 9, police contacted the U.S. Marshals Service in Cape Girardeau for assistance. They believed Gipson was possibly at a family member’s home in Charleston, West Virginia.

On Dec. 31 they asked for assistance from the U.S. Marshals Service in the Southern District of West Virginia.

On Jan. 4 around 9:15 a.m., investigators conducted surveillance on the home and a gas station. They say Gipson was seen walking near the business and when U.S. Marshals tried to arrest him, he ran away.

Gipson was taken into custody after a short chase.

The investigation began on December 1, when Poplar Bluff police responded to a home in the 100 block of Begley Street around 10:32 p.m. for a report of a shooting.

When officers arrived, they say they found Kevin Sanders, of Poplar Bluff, and Adriana Lundy, of Poplar Bluff, with bullet wounds.

Both Sanders and Lundy were taken to an area hospital where Sanders later died.

Lundy’s injuries were considered serious, but not life threatening.

Police say Gipson and Gilmore went to a home on Begley Street to buy drugs, instead they say Gipson tried to rob Sanders and Lundy. That’s when both Sanders and Lundy were shot.

According to police, a large amount of marijuana and U.S. currency was found inside the home.

Gilmore was quickly found and arrested after the incident.

Poplar Bluff Police Chief Danny Whiteley thanked the Criminal Investigation Division of the Poplar Bluff Police Department, the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the Butler County Sheriff’s Department and the U.S. Marshals Service in Cape Girardeau and West Virginia for their help in the investigation.

Copyright 2020 KFVS. All rights reserved.