CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - The Cape Girardeau Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at the 400 block of Frederick Street on Friday, October 30.
The fire broke out around 11:30 a.m., starting on the second floor in the kitchen area where first responders worked over an hour to extinguish it.
Interim Fire Chief Randy Morris explained why it was hard to put out fires, in older building.
“In a fire situation like this in an older building, the type of construction," he said. "This is actually a balloon construction building, meaning there are void spaces in the walls. So, when we had a fire that extended into the walls. From the second floor it got into the third floor very quickly. The fire knockdown was fairly quick, I was able to get a good control on it. But the hidden fires, finding all the void spaces in these older style building and extinguishing those small fires so we don’t have a reoccurring fire.”
According to the Cape Girardeau Fire Department, the fire is being investigated as an accidental electrical fire.
All of the residents were out of the building at the time.
Heavy smoke could be seen in the area.