Firefighters give grilling safety tips after large fire at Lake of the Ozarks

Updated: Jun. 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

JACKSON, Mo. (KFVS) - A huge fire broke out at the Lake of the Ozarks earlier this week. After one Heartland fire department saw the video of the fire, they decided now is a good time to talk grill safety.

“That was a massive amount of fire that probably could have been prevent,” said Robert Grief, Captain at Jackson Fire Department.

Grief is talking about the fire at the Emerald Bay Condos at the Lake of the Ozarks.

According to the Missouri State Fire Marshal it all started because of an outdoor grill.

“You can find safety tips about grills all over the internet. If some of those safety tips would’ve been followed this might have been prevented,” he said.

Grief said this fire is proof that people need to be careful.

“If you can get the grill away from the house, you’re at a lot better position to not have a fire. If a grill has a flame up a lot of time if it’s against the house it could get up into the soffits and into the attic and cause a fire,” said Grief.

He said if you have a gas grill, regularly check the hose.

“If you have a leak in your propane line, you could actually have a gas explosion,” he said.

Grief said it’s easy to do. Just prepare a spray bottle with 50 percent water and 50 percent soap and spray it directly on the hose.

“If any bubbles occur you need to adjust accordingly or replace,” Grief explained.

For those who use a charcoal grill, Grief said don’t throw away hot ashes.

“The best practice when dealing with charcoal and the ash is to wet the ash and then dispose of it properly and then keep it outdoors,” said Grief.

If a fire starts, immediately call for help.

“Always dial 911 first and if you have an extinguisher handy, which you should have, use your extinguisher while waiting on help to arrive,” he said.

The State Fire Marshal ruled the fire as accidental and there were no injuries.

Copyright 2020 KFVS. All rights reserved.