Buildup in chimney sparks house fire in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Updated: Nov. 1, 2019 at 4:06 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - Around 8:30 p.m. a fire broke out at a home on Cambridge Dr. in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

Cape Girardeau Fire Chief Travis Hollis said creosote buildup in the chimney likely caused the fire.

The people living at the home recently converted a wood burning fireplace to a gas fireplace.

Cape Girardeau House Fire
Cape Girardeau House Fire(KFVS 12)

Cleaning the creosote out of chimneys is very important, officials said.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys, fireplaces and vents should be inspected at least once a year for soundness, deposits and correct clearances.

Copyright 2019 KFVS. All rights reserved.