4 taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Sikeston

4 taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Sikeston

SIKESTON, Mo. (KFVS) - Officials with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety were called out on Tuesday, Sept. 10 to what they believed was a gas leak.

When crews arrived at the scene on Lee Avenue, Sikeston DPS Fire Marshal Zak Haskin said officers checked the air quality and found out it was carbon monoxide that was drifting into the home.

He said the cause was a running generator near a storage area outside their home, which caused the gas to travel through the attic and into the home.

Four people were treated and taken to an area hospital.

Officials said two officers and two dogs were also treated due to their exposure.

SIx people and two animals were treated for exposure. (Source: Sikeston DPS)
SIx people and two animals were treated for exposure. (Source: Sikeston DPS) (Source: Sikeston DPS)

Sikeston DPS Fire Marshal Zak Haskin said the four people are lucky to be alive after the incident.

“I believe they called first because they were feeling sick or somebody in the house passed out and so somebody else called and said, ‘hey, this guy passed out,’” Haskin said. “By the time everybody got here to help them, everybody else in the house were to starting to come to the issue.”

He said it’s important to buy a carbon monoxide detector and install it in your home.

Four people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak. (Source: KFVS)
Four people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak. (Source: KFVS) (Source: Mike Mohundro)

“Anytime you have a gas appliance, you should have a carbon monoxide detector," Haskin said. “Whether it’s wall furnaces, gas heaters, cook stoves, gas dryers, you should place this within the vicinity of that appliance and at about 5 feet high."

Police said carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and deadly.

They advise anyone using a generator to power a home should keep it 20 feet away from windows, vents or doors.

Copyright 2019 KFVS. All rights reserved.