8 dogs die in early morning house fire in Cape Girardeau

Updated: Aug. 17, 2019 at 4:53 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - An early morning fire in Cape Girardeau, Missouri has left eight dogs dead.

According to the Cape Girardeau Fire Department, the incident happened at in the 300 block of Albert Street just before 4 a.m. on Saturday, August 17.

Officials said while getting the occupants out of the house they were informed there were 14 dogs and one cat inside the home.

Search crews found eight deceased dogs in the home. Six dogs and one cat survived.

Here are the surviving 7 pets who escaped a house fire in Cape Girardeau. Unfortunately, 8 other dogs died in the fire...

Posted by Mike Mohundro KFVS on Saturday, August 17, 2019

Fire crews administered oxygen to the surviving animals. Officials do not think the fire was suspicious. They said fire alarms were in the house but did not go off.

Tracey Poston, Humane Society of Southeast Missouri said she and other staff and volunteers there want to help out the victims of this fire. She said it’s necessary to help out each other in a time of need such as this.

"They had to say goodbye to their pets," Poston said. "They had very little resources. This family needs our help. They not only need our help with their pets, they need our help with themselves. Their home didn't burn to the ground but everything inside is ruined."

Humane Society of Southeast Missouri Board President Charlotte Craig said the surviving pets were dropped off at the Humane Society on Saturday morning. She said they kept the pets taken care of and they will hold on to them for the owners for now.

"It's terribly traumatic for them," Craig said. "They were multiple pet owners and very good pet owners. Everybody was up to date on vaccinations and most were spade and/or neutered. It's an individual that has come across to us in the past."

Heartland News spoke to the owners as they looked at the fire damage. They said the fire collapsed their staircase and burned a lot of structure and items inside.

The couple living there are engaged. The disabled woman said she woke up in the early morning hours and alerted to her fiance that the house was on fire. He then helped her get out to safely.

The woman also said they were thankful for the quick response from the fire department.

We need your help for this family! We were surprised to discover 6 dogs this morning in our play yard. After phone...

Posted by Humane Society of Southeast Missouri on Saturday, August 17, 2019

Copyright 2019 KFVS. All rights reserved.