BENTON, Ill. (KFVS) - A crash involving four vehicles closed Interstate 57 in Franklin County, Ill. for about an hour on Thursday, June 13.
It happened around 12:50 p.m. at mile post 71.
Illinois State Police officials said these vehicles were involved:
- A red 2009 International truck tractor semi-trailer was driven by Markashia Reneka Thompson, 36 of Canton, Miss.
- A white 2019 Volvo truck tractor semi-trailer was driven by Martin Austin Martin, 26 of Lansford, Pa.
- A gray 2013 Hyundai Elantra was driven by Morgan Page Hewlett, 23 of West Frankfort, Ill.
- A green 1996 Honda Accord was driven by Kevin D. Vaughn, 64 of Macedonia, Ill.
- A silver 1996 Honda Odyssey was driven by Miah M. Harris, 21 of Saint Louis, Mo.
Harris’ vehicle was disabled on the shoulder in the southbound lanes at milepost 71 due to a flat tire according to state police.
That’s when Vaughn began slowing down with traffic in the left lane. Hewlett’s vehicle struck Vaughn’s vehicle in the rear end causing minor damage to both vehicles.
Martin was traveling behind Hewlett and swerved to avoid the accident.
State police said Thompson then Martin’s vehicle in the rear causing major damage to both vehicles.
The right lane of I-57 at this location was closed for about one hour, causing significant traffic delays.
Thompson was issued citations for following too closely and driving too fast for conditions
Morgan was issued citations for following too closely, driving too fast for conditions and operating uninsured motor vehicle.