MISSOURI (KFVS) - A report released by WalletHub says the average smoker in Missouri spends more than $1 million on smoking over a lifetime.
The financial cost of smoking in Missouri (1 = lowest and 25 = average):
- Out-of-pocket cost per smoker - $86,001 (ranked 1st)
- Financial-opportunity cost per smoker - $946,449 (ranked 1st)
- Health care cost per smoker - $158,641 (ranked 28th)
- Income loss per smoker - $210,291 (ranked 15th)
- Other costs per smoker - $11,689 (ranked 23rd)
- Total cost over lifetime per smoker - $1,413,082
- Total cost per year per smoker - $27,707
The report, called “The Real Cost of Smoking by State” was released on Wednesday, January 9. It calculated the potential monetary losses, including the lifetime and annual costs of a cigarette pack per day, health care expenses, income losses and other costs brought on by smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke.