3 charged in deadly Sikeston, MO shooting

3 charged in deadly Sikeston, MO shooting

SIKESTON, MO (KFVS) - Three people are currently in custody following a shooting on Alabama St. in Sikeston, Missouri on Tuesday, Dec. 11 around 7 p.m.

Assistant Chief Jim McMillen said 32-year-old Rickey D. Walker, Jr. was shot in the chest and taken to a hospital where he died about an hour later.

D’ereck J. Whitney, 19, is one of the three people in custody following the shooting.

Whitney is charged with first degree murder, armed criminal action, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, two counts of property damage and 12 counts of first degree assault or attempted assault. Whitney’s bond was set at $200,000 cash only bond.

According to the Major Case Squad, Antowon Murice Davis, Jr., 22, of Charleston, Mo., was arrested and charged with first degree murder, 12 counts of first degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and tampering with evidence. Davis was taken to the Scott County Jail and held on a $100,000 bond.

Darius Cooper, 24, of Charleston, Mo., was also arrested as the investigation moved toward recovering the weapon. Cooper was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and tampering with evidence. His bond was set at $75,000.

According to the Chief Mike Williams, shots were fired at the house by Whitney on foot and this was not a drive-by situation.

The major case squad is still working on the case.

Community members stopped by on Wednesday to drop off things to honor Rickey Walker, Jr.

McMillen said several shots hit the home near the 200 block of Alabama Street on the west side of town.

Officials said there is no reason for residents to be alarmed.

McMillen said about 14 people were in the house during the shooting and about half of them were children.

According to Sgt. John Broom with Sikeston DPS, the SEMO Major Case Squad was activated and detectives were analyzing evidence like bullet holes in the siding of a house and a car parked in front of the home.

McMillen also said the Major Case Squad found a shell casing across the street at a cemetery.

The crime scene stretched to a nearby graveyard where police have found other evidence.

Police said they believe it started with a Facebook dispute that escalated to a shooting.

Copyright 2018 KFVS. All rights reserved.