Toddler overdoses on prescription medicine

By CJ Cassidy
CARUTHERSVILLE, MO (KFVS) - How far do you go to make sure your children don't get their hands on your medicine?
Police in Caruthersville investigate an incident that sent a two year old to the hospital over the weekend.
The toddler's mother tells Heartland News a few minutes was all it took for her life to dramatically change. 
Once we agreed to protect her identity, she decided to share her story.
"I blame the father. I blame myself too. I should have took my medicine with me," she said.
Still, the young mother says she had no idea her two-year-old boy would find himself in danger - especially since she left his dad in charge and her medication out of reach.
"Their dad was supposed to be keeping an eye on them," she said. "When I left he had found my medicine and he had took some and dropped it on the floor."
She says that's probably where her young son picked up the prescription drugs and put it in his mouth.
"All it took was for something to drop on the floor, he didn't know what it was probably thought it was candy."
Police say the woman came back home to find her husband asleep, and her son stumbling around.
"I really couldn't tell you what was going through my mind. I was in a panic, I was scared."
She immediately called 911, and help arrived within minutes.
Experts say she did the right thing.
Turns out, prescription drugs are a leading cause of child poisonings in the U.S.
According to the Annals of Emergency Medicine, more than 9000 children under the age of six became sick after taking prescription drugs between 2003 and 2006, and eight of those children died.
Research also shows most children poisoned accidentally took medicine that belonged to an adult.
Back in Caruthersville, the young mother says she's relieved her toddler recovered, and she plans on keeping an even closer eye on her children in the future.
"They're my everything," she said.
The toddler is back home with his mother.
So far his father does not face any charges.
If you ever run into a similar problem, experts suggest you call 911 and also the Poison Control Center at 1(800) 222- 1222.