Fire kills Poplar Bluff woman

By Heartland News

POPLAR BLUFF, MO (KFVS) - A Poplar Bluff woman died in a house fire early Sunday morning.

Fire officials say 51-year-old Kathy Lewis died in her apartment on Hazel Street in Poplar Bluff from carbon monoxide poisoning directly related to smoke inhalation.
They believe a lit cigarette is to blame for the fire and say the fire could have been much worse because there were 20 oxygen tanks in the apararment.
Those tanks did not ignite and crews were able to put the flames out quickly.
No other apartments in the complex were damaged.