Carbon monoxide to blame for deaths of mother, daughter

Jeanice Griffin
Jeanice Griffin
Kaitlyn Beckett
Kaitlyn Beckett
By Heartland News

NEW MADRID COUNTY, MO (KFVS) - A mother and daughter are found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning Wedensday morning.

New Madrid County Sheriff Terry Stevens says Jeanice Griffin, 58, and her 18-year-old foster daughter Kaitlyn Beckett were found dead inside their home on Highway 80 just west of East Prairie around 9 a.m.
Griffin was a social studies teacher at East Prairie High School.  Her daughter was a junior.  The school resource officer and school principal went to check on the mother and daughter Wednesday morning after they didn't show up at school.  That's when they made the disturbing discovery.
Students at East Prairie schools just reported back to class Wednesday after being off five days from the ice storm.  The school held an assembly to break the news to the students.  They also brought in counselors.  Heartland News is told both were very well liked and will be deeply missed.
A generator was in the garage with the garage doors closed.
Emergency workers hope this serves as a reminder to anyone using a generator to follow safety measures.

Funeral services are pending at Shelby Funeral Home in East Prairie.

Superintendent of East Prairie R-2 Schools Scott Downing says the school is "deeply saddened by this tragedy."