January 28, 2009 at 8:13 PM CST - Updated June 30 at 3:10 PM
The following information comes form Dutch Enterprises in Cape Girardeau.
1. Learn all you can about generators BEFORE you purchase one.
2. Improper use or installation of a generator can cause property damage, serious injury and even death.
3. A qualified electrical contractor MUST perform the installation of a generator, disconnect & transfer switch.
4. Do not wire generators directly to your electrical panel without a qualified electrician installing a safety interlock kit. It is extremely dangerous and can cause high voltages to be transmitted through the utility company's wires.
5. Always properly disconnect from your metered electric utility service before starting your backup generator.
6. Never run your generator inside a building.
7. Never fuel the generator when it is running.
8. When using extension cords, they must be of correct size and weather proof.
9. Never remove or tamper with safety devices.
10. Never operate generator in an enclosed compartment.