Eating healthy on the 4th of July---yeah right! Actually, Dietitian Raina Childers of Southeast Hospital says it can be done. First, she outlines some sobering numbers on some of your favorite summer time foods.
- 3 ounce BBQ Beef Rib- 380 calories
- Hot Dog on Bun- 264 calories
- Med. soft serve ice cream cone- 330 calories
- DQ Large Moolatte- 840 calories
- 1 pc. Unfilled wedding cake-243 calories
- Medium movie theatre popcorn- 910 calories
- 1 cup potato salad- 357 calories
- 1 Fried chicken Breast- 494 calories
- 1 can beer could be 200 to 300 calories
---- Look for whole grains (cereals, breads, tortillas, crackers, bagels) and fruits and vegetables.
---- Combine them with lean sources of protein (lean meats, nuts/seeds/butters, beans/legumes and low-fat dairy items like yogurt, cheese and milk, and soy).
Why this works nutritionally?- Fiber provides vitamins and minerals but is also very filling. These rich carbohydrates are a great source of energy. Along with the staying power of protein, we are able to feel physically satisfied, concentrate on our daily tasks while having energy to get through long days.