Summer Slimdown: Eating Healthy Portions
As part of our Summer Slimdown Series on the Breakfast Show, we've shown you how to exercise to lose weight. Now let's talk about eating right. We enlisted the expert help from Dietitian Raina Childers of Southeast Hospital and HealthPoint Plaza. Below she lists several recommendations and a formula for how many calories you should take in daily IF you don't want to gain weight back. We call that "Weight Maintenance." Also, scroll down to see some of Raina's healthy recipes.
Equation to Estimate Calories for Weight Maintenance
10 calories for every pound of body weight
Example: 150 pound individual would require approximately 1500 calories per day.
Physical activity, medical conditions may change these basic needs.
A Registered Dietitian can help determine calorie and nutrient needs on an individual by individual basis.
Recommended Serving Size Examples
GRAINS SERVING = 1 slice of bread; ½ cup cooked cereal, rice or pasta; 1 ounce ready to eat cereal; ½ bun, bagel or English muffin
VEGETABLE SERVING = ½ cup cooked vegetables; 1 cup raw/leafy vegetables; ¾ cup vegetable juice
FRUIT SERVING = 1 medium apple, orange, banana or ½ a grapefruit; ½ cup diced, cooked or canned fruit; ¼ cup dried fruit; ¾ cup 100% juice
PROTEIN SERVING = 2-3 ounces of lean , cooked meat, poultry or fish; count 1 egg, ½ cup cooked beans/legumes, 4 ounces of tofu or 2 Tablespoons nuts, seeds or peanut butter as 1 ounce.
DAIRY SERVING= 1 cup low fat milk or yogurt; 2 ounces processed cheese; 1 ½ ounces of natural cheese.
Raina's Healthy Recipes
Grilled Vegetables with Sesame Marinade
- ¾ pound small red potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup (1/2 inch-thick) sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup (1/2 inch-thick) sliced zucchini squash
- 1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 large red pepper, cut into ½ inch wide strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine potato and next 11 ingredients in a large freezer bag. Seal bag and allow to marinate 20-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Remove vegetables from bag, reserving marinade. Place vegetables in wire grilling basket coated with cooking spray and grill 8 minutes each side or until tender.
- Place reserved marinade over grilled vegetables and serve.
Yields: 5 servings (1 cup)
Nutrition Information: Calories: 99; Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 3 grams; Carbohydrate: 18 grams, Sodium: 158 mg; Fiber: 3 grams
Raina's Super Smoothie
- 1- 6 ounce container of fat free flavored yogurt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons non-fat dry milk
- ½ banana
- 4 frozen strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- Put all ingredients together in a blender and mix until smooth.
Calories: 270, Protein: 22 grams, Carbohydrate: 50 grams, Fat: 2 grams, Calcium: 560mg
Very Berry Salsa
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar (could use Splenda)
- 3 Tablespoons sweet Vidalia onion
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash of Hot pepper sauce
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Wash and pat dry berries. Hull strawberries and dice.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl and toss until all berries are well coated
- Chill for 1 hour
- Prior to serving toss in almonds
Serve over a fruit sorbet, use a dip for pita chips or serve as condiment for poultry or pork.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 42, Protein: trace, Carbohydrate grams: 15
Peppered Halibut Steaks
- 1 Tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill or broiler
- Combine first 3 ingredients; rub over fillets. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle fish with salt
- Place fish on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes each side or until fish flakes with a fork.
Yield: 4 servings