SIU student thinks of family in Beirut - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Carbondale, IL

SIU student thinks of family in Beirut

SIU student thinks of family in Beirut
By: Carly O'Keefe

Carbondale, IL - Ali Srour's mind hasn't been on his SIU PhD work for the past week. Srour is from Lebanon. His family lives near Beirut. He'd planned to return home last Friday. His plane was cancelled however due to ongoing rocket and missile attacks between Israel and Hezbollah.

"What I'm feeling," said Srour, "I'm angry, I'm frustrated, I'm afraid, and I can't sleep, I can't eat, I'm like this every day."

As Srour waits in Carbondale, his home and family are under attack.

"In my neighborhood, at least 15 buildings have collapsed. At least 15 buildings, I'm not sure if my house is still there or not, I'm not sure," said Srour.

Srour's trip home was centered around his engagement party set for July 23. What seemed certain a month ago is now up in the air. Every day Srour says he fears the worst. He hasn't been able to reach his fiancé by phone in days.

"I don't know if I'm going to see her one more time or not, if she's still alive or not. I don't know," said Srour.

Srour also worries about his family. His mother, father and 16-year-old sister, living just south of Beirut. Srour remembers a previous attack on Lebanon when he was there to comfort his sister.

"When my sister heard the air strike, she started trembling," said Srour. "I would go and hug her. Now she's alone. She doesn't have anyone to hold her."

Now all Srour can do is wait. Wait for news that his family has made it through, and wait until he can find a way back to them.

"For sure I'll be frightened, but at least when I am there, I am with my family," said Srour.

• Heartland NewsMore>>

First Alert: Expect temps in the 70s this evening

Tuesday, August 21 2018 6:16 PM EDT2018-08-21 22:16:04 GMT
    Tuesday's cool down will last through the week (Source: James Gullage of Humboldt, TN)Tuesday's cool down will last through the week (Source: James Gullage of Humboldt, TN)

Temperatures this evening will fall through the 70s.

Temperatures this evening will fall through the 70s.

Poplar Bluff library closed after 'sparking electrical box'

Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:39 PM EDT2018-08-22 01:39:44 GMT
    Poplar Bluff firefighters responded to a call about a sparking electrical box at the library on Tuesday. (Source: KFVS)Poplar Bluff firefighters responded to a call about a sparking electrical box at the library on Tuesday. (Source: KFVS)

The Poplar Bluff Municipal Library was closed on Tuesday, August 21 after an electrical box was sparking in a closet.

ISP called to rollover semi crash on I-57 NB

Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:29 PM EDT2018-08-22 01:29:32 GMT
    Illinois State Police is investigating a semi roll over crash on Interstate 57 northbound at mile marker 74 on Tuesday, August 21. (Source: KFVS)Illinois State Police is investigating a semi roll over crash on Interstate 57 northbound at mile marker 74 on Tuesday, August 21. (Source: KFVS)

Illinois State Police is investigating a semi rollover crash on Interstate 57 northbound at mile marker 74 on Tuesday, August 21.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Father of slain Colorado woman sobs, seethes in courtroom

Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 10:14 PM EDT2018-08-22 02:14:57 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

GRAPHIC: 2-year-old allegedly attacks 9-month-old at daycare

Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:46 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:46:14 GMT
    (Source: KSLA News 12)(Source: KSLA News 12)

A woman says her infant son had been bitten more than 30 times and had numerous scratches on his body.

3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

Tuesday, August 21 2018 7:16 AM EDT2018-08-21 11:16:10 GMT

Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.