Woman says store-bought lettuce had a 3-inch lizard in it - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Woman says store-bought lettuce had a 3-inch lizard in it

KITTERY, Maine (AP) - A Maine woman who prepared a salad says she realized after a couple of bites that her fork was stuck in a 3-inch lizard, minus the tail.

After vomiting and getting over her shock, Michelle Carr, a nurse from Kittery, said she feared she could have ingested harmful bacteria. A biologist friend believes she found a blue-bellied lizard from California.

Carr said she bought a bag of store-brand romaine lettuce at a supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Jan. 26. The lettuce was distributed by a California company. A supermarket spokeswoman said it notified the supplier.

Carr also called the state Health Department. A spokesman said because the lettuce was packaged and shipped from another state, any investigation would be conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • Seventh-grader who shot himself in school bathroom dies

    Seventh-grader who shot himself in school bathroom dies

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 4:44 PM EST2018-02-21 21:44:03 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 6:09 PM EST2018-02-21 23:09:40 GMT
    Authorities say an Ohio seventh-grader who police said brought a gun to school and shot himself inside a restroom has died of his injuries.
    Authorities say an Ohio seventh-grader who police said brought a gun to school and shot himself inside a restroom has died of his injuries.
  • Prosecutors charge health company in Milwaukee jail death

    Prosecutors charge health company in Milwaukee jail death

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 4:13 PM EST2018-02-21 21:13:34 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 6:09 PM EST2018-02-21 23:09:37 GMT
    Prosecutors say the company that cares for inmates at the Milwaukee County jail face criminal because employees lied about checking on a man who died of dehydration after water to his cell was shut off.
    Prosecutors say the company that cares for inmates at the Milwaukee County jail face criminal because employees lied about checking on a man who died of dehydration after water to his cell was shut off.
  • Speaking out: Students who survived shooting talk activism

    Speaking out: Students who survived shooting talk activism

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:23 AM EST2018-02-21 16:23:47 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 6:09 PM EST2018-02-21 23:09:34 GMT
    Many students who survived the shooting at Marjory Stoneman High School have turned into outspoken gun control advocates.
    Many students who survived the shooting at Marjory Stoneman High School have turned into outspoken gun control advocates.
Powered by Frankly