Even a short drive across town can be hazardous the winter. Icy roads, snow and freezing rain can impact your travel.
Here are a few items to keep in your car this winter:
Keep basics inside the car:
- Make a quick food kit and put in a duffel bag or backpack including bottled water, and snacks with high protein such as nuts, raisins, and mini candy bars.
- Have a stash of extra gloves, hats, scarves and a couple of blankets.
- Make a first-aid kit and have a with a whistle, hand crank radio, flashlight and extra batteries.
In the glove box:
- Invest in several different cell phone chargers and cords.
- Have an emergency backup road map in case GPS fails.
- Have extra cash on hand in case the power goes out and your debit or credit card doesn't work.
- Keep an emergency contact card with helpful numbers to call.
In the trunk:
- Have snow removal tools such as a shovel, ice scrapers and a brush
- Invest in flares.
- De-icer windshield fluid comes in handy.
- Pack for special needs.
- Keep extra baby fluid, formula, food or diapers.
- Kids games, books and activities can make a traffic standstill pleasant for everyone.
The following information was provided by Menards, Inc.