MISSOURI (KFVS) - The holiday season is upon the Heartland, here are a few reminders to prevent theft during this time of year.
The Missouri Insurance Information Service warns that crowded shopping malls, streets and parking lots can provide opportunities for theft.
- Park your car in a brightly lit, well-traveled area. Be sure to lock your car and take the keys with you.
- Place your purchases in the trunk or at least out of sight.
- Avoid shopping alone. People in pairs or groups are less likely to be attacked than individuals traveling alone.
- Take only the money you'll need if you’re paying for purchases with cash.
- If you're paying with a card, make sure it is returned to you by the clerk.
- Get your car keys ready before you walk into the parking area. Juggling packages while you look for your keys may make you a target for a thief.
Don't forget to keep your home safe as well. Here are some holiday home safety tips:
- You want your live Christmas tree to be fresh before you buy it. If the needles fall off when you shake it, you should probably look for another tree.
- Put your live tree in a sturdy stand and water it daily.
- Keep the tree away from heat sources that can ignite the tree or dry it out. Never use lighted candles as Christmas tree decorations.
- Keep holiday candles away from open windows, drapes and flammable materials.
- Be sure the decorations you put on the tree are not flammable and that all tree lights have been approved by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Unplug all tree lights while you're away from home or sleeping.
- Check all sockets, wiring and bulbs before using them. Replace them if they are worn or rusted.