Young Boy Saves Grandfather from Bee Attack

Young Boy Saves Grandfather from Bee Attack
By: Arnold Wyrick
This story begins with 53-year-old Phillip Pease and his two grandsons, 8-year-old Christopher Hagan and 4-year-old Levi's adventure into the woods. The trio's day started out routinely Thursday afternoon, as they roamed the forest in Northern Jackson County. They were looking for unique pieces of fallen timber for their grandfather to turn into art. But what they found were an angry hive of bees.
"My grandson Christopher, he spotted it first, that big knot on top of the log," says Pease as he pointed to a huge section of a downed tree.
"So we stopped and pulled up next to it. I started sawing the knot off."
But little did they know that same piece tree already belonged to hive of bees!
"I asked if I could take the machete and cut a piece off of the tree. And then when I was making the banging noise, that's what made them mad," says Christopher Hagan.
What happened next none of them were quite prepared for.
"I screamed 'Bees!' And they took off this way. And I ran around the ridge trying to draw the bees off of them. They hit me all over on the head and neck," Pease said.
His two grandsons high-tailed through the weeds and stopped several yards away in a small stand of trees.
"We stopped right here and my grandpa took off that way. I pushed Levi behind me and I started swinging at the bees," Christopher said.
The boys won their battle with the bees, but not without a few injuries.
"Bubbi was trying to protect me. Bubbi didn't want me to get stinged that much," Levi said.
But their troubles weren't over. In fact they were just beginning. That's because their grandpa is allergic to bee stings.
"I was going into the first stages of anaphylactic shock when we got up to the house. Christopher he started watching me some. He was picking the stingers out of the back of my head and neck," Pease said.
Then after taking care of his grandfather, Christopher called his mom for help.
"I get there and Christopher is very calm. And he's been stung himself about ten or twelve times. And all he could say was grandpa's been stung a lot, and Levi's got two or three stings. And he didn't say anything about the bee stings he got," says Jennifer Hagan.
She rushed them all to the hospital in Pinckneyville. And she's now thankful for her son's quick actions in saving her father's life.
"It probably did prevent him from going into full anaphylactic shock, and his throat shutting down completely," Hagan said.
"Yeah he did a lot, because if he'd left the stingers in, the poison would've kept coming in a lot more quicker to my system," Pease said.
"They're my boys. And next time we'll check the tree out before we start trying to take things off of it."