It's tax season and there's free help available - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

It's tax season and there's free help available

(Source: KFVS) (Source: KFVS)
(KFVS) -

Tax season can be such a headache. Not only do you have to make sure all the right information is there, but paying for it can make things that much more stressful.

Just head to and enter your zip code and search for the locations where you can get free tax preparation help.

It is offered through the "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program" (VITA), and the "Tax Counseling for the Elderly" (TCE).

VITA is there for free tax help for those who generally make $54,000 or less, those with disabilities and those with limited English.

TCE is typically for those 60-years-old or more. Those tax professionals specialize in questions about pensions and retirement related issues.

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) this is what you need to bring with you:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)

  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 

  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number

  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return

  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers

  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements

  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received

  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available

  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check

  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number

  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements

  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2017 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly