Stove top burner sparks fire in Sikeston - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Stove top burner sparks fire in Sikeston

(Source: KFVS) (Source: KFVS)
SIKESTON, MO (KFVS) -

Investigators in Sikeston say an early morning fire was sparked by a stove top burner that was left on.

According to the Department of Public Safety, crews were called to a home in the 400 block of Pam around 4:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Firefighters found the fire in the kitchen and were able to put it out. The kitchen area has smoke and fire damage.

The homeowner said he woke up to his home full of smoke, but the smoke detectors did not go off.

Fire crews found two smoke detectors in the hallway, but it's not clear if they were working.

Crews cleared the scene just before 6 a.m.

The department wants to remind everyone to check their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at least once a month.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly