Madison County, MO elects first woman sheriff - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Madison County, MO elects first woman sheriff

(Source: Katy McCutcheon for Sheriff 2016/Facebook) (Source: Katy McCutcheon for Sheriff 2016/Facebook)
MADISON COUNTY, MO (KFVS) -

Voters in Madison County and Saline County, Missouri elected and re-elected women to the position of sheriff on Tuesday night, November 8.

According to the clerk's office, Katy McCutcheon is the first woman elected to the position of sheriff in Madison County.

The unofficial, final results were 3,278 for McCutcheon and 2,023 for Jason Fitzwater.

McCutcheon has been working in public service in the county for 15 years. She is currently the county's 911 director and deputy coroner.

McCutcheon said she is overwhelmed by the support from her community.

"Madison County is my family, is my friends, and I felt that I owed them the obligation to run, and I really appreciate everyone coming out and supporting me," she said.

McCutcheon said wasn't thinking about her gender when she decided to run for Madison County Sheriff.

"Madison County is my hometown, my home community, and I felt I had an obligation that I needed to run."

However, she says, some did.

"Several folks that thought that I shouldn't run just for the fact that I was a female, and they didn't want to see something happen to me or see me get killed," McCutcheon said.

Those thoughts didn't stop her.

McCutcheon is the county's 911 director and deputy coroner, with fifteen years of service in Madison County.

With her win she will be the second female sheriff in the state of Missouri.

The first to gain the position through general elections.

An election she thought she would lose.
"I thought I was because I was the female. I was the underdog," McCutcheon said.

She turned out to be anything but the underdog.

McCutcheon went to the courthouse Wednesday, November 9, and was met with applause.

"It means a lot. she's a good woman for the job. I know she can get it done," said a courthouse employee.

While not everyone gave her their vote, McCutcheon says she will serve them with open arms.

"They had their reasons for not voting for me, but they still live in Madison County, and I still feel that they are mine, and I will take care of them," McCutcheon said.

Because even though it's a tough job, it's one McCutcheon knows she can do.

"You have three thousand folks out there that saw my name and thought I want to vote for her. She's going to make a difference. She's going to change, and make Madison County better," McCutcheon said.

She said both she and her Republican opponent ran a clean and fair race, she just happened to be the winner.

In Saline County, Sheriff Cindi Mullins was elected to a new term after her appointment to the role in February.

You can click here for more election results.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.

• Heartland NewsMore>>

Volunteer training at Paducah Warming Center

Saturday, October 21 2017 3:54 AM EDT2017-10-21 07:54:01 GMT
    (Source: KFVS)(Source: KFVS)

With colder temperatures now here, Paducah Warming Center at the Community Kitchen is offering two volunteer training sessions. The sessions are set to be held at 6 p.m. on Nov. 6 and 13 at the Community Kitchen, located at 1237 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

1 detained, car seized following deadly Reynolds Co., MO shooting

Friday, October 20 2017 11:36 PM EDT2017-10-21 03:36:28 GMT
    (Source: Sherae Honeycutt, KFVS)(Source: Sherae Honeycutt, KFVS)

Authorities say one person has been detained, but this person is not under arrest. There is still an ongoing search for a second person, according to the sheriff's office.

I-57 NB closure in Williamson Co, IL

Friday, October 20 2017 9:25 PM EDT2017-10-21 01:25:49 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

Illinois State Police and IDOT are shutting down the northbound lanes of the interstate about five miles south of Marion in Williamson County.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Charges, insults fly after Trump aide assails congresswoman

Friday, October 20 2017 4:12 AM EDT2017-10-20 08:12:41 GMT
    Saturday, October 21 2017 7:45 AM EDT2017-10-21 11:45:00 GMT

White House chief of staff John Kelly delivered a raw and searing monologue Thursday about the reality and pain of war sacrifice, praising those who serve and summoning the 2010 death of his own son to defend President Donald Trump against accusations of insensitive outreach to a grieving military family.

Teacher hit with brick after confiscating student's phone

Friday, October 20 2017 2:00 AM EDT2017-10-20 06:00:06 GMT
    Friday, October 20 2017 2:00 AM EDT2017-10-20 06:00:06 GMT

The student’s mother is facing several charges, including aggravated assault, in connection to the incident.

Defiant Torrey McNabb held up middle fingers, saved final words for AL before execution

Friday, October 20 2017 11:21 AM EDT2017-10-20 15:21:20 GMT
    Torrey McNabb (Source: Alabama Department of Corrections)Torrey McNabb (Source: Alabama Department of Corrections)

The Alabama Department of Corrections executed Torrey McNabb Thursday night for his conviction in the 1997 murder of Montgomery police officer Anderson Gordon.