CAPTURED: 'Armed, dangerous' suspect in Massac Co., IL in custod - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

CAPTURED: 'Armed, dangerous' suspect in Massac Co., IL in custody

(Source: KFVS) (Source: KFVS)
(Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS) (Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS)
(Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS) (Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS)
(Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS) (Source: Sherae Honeycutt/KFVS)

Police in Metropolis, Illinois say an armed and dangerous man who they had cornered inside a Metropolis home is now in custody.

Metropolis Police Chief Harry Masse said the incident initially started with a domestic dispute on Monday evening, September 5.

He said they thought it was resolved, but the woman went to her parents' house and the suspect, Justin Lamer, followed.

Chief Masse said Massac County received a call later on Monday night that the suspect was at victim's parents' house in Joppa where there was a second reported domestic disturbance.

According to Chief Masse, Metropolis police were involved in a chase with the suspect on Monday night through Joppa. He said Lamer bailed out of the car and ran into the woods. That's why the schools were called off in the area.

The search ended and then, Chief Masse said, they got a call around 9 a.m. that Lamer was back at the house on Lindsey Street. That's when the standoff began.

The Illinois State Police SWAT Team were also on scene

Investigators went through the house to find any evidence related to the standoff.

At around 3 p.m. they sent in a robot after hours of negotiation were not successful. With its help, police say they were able to find Lamer on a bed.

According to police, he was "out of it" when they found him, so he was taken to the hospital.

Police say Lamer was being treated for a possible overdose.

In total, authorities say this was two domestic disturbances, a police chase and finally, a standoff.

The Metropolis police chief said even with all of that, they needed to take their time.

"No reason, in my opinion, that we needed to rush it," Chief Harry Masse said. "If he was in fact still armed, us busting in and breaking doors down, it would have probably led to a shootout. That is not our goal. Our goal was to bring this to a peaceful resolution."

Police say they recovered a large amount of cannabis from the home, but could not say if the intent was to sell it.

It's unclear what new charges Lamer will be facing as Illinois State Police say he was already wanted on drug-related charges, along with possession of weapons by a convicted felon.

According to Landon Summer, the principal of Joppa Maple-Grove Unit 38, schools there dismissed at 8:15 a.m. as a result of the manhunt.

Summer said the dismissal was an effort for students, parents, staff and faculty to get home safely.

We are told that at the elementary school, parents were called to pick up students and some went home by school bus.

At the high school, Summer said they used the activity bus to get students home safe, including those that normally walk home.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly