CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - More than 60 teams are gearing up for the 24th annual Jaycee Barbecue fest in Cape Girardeau's Arena Park August 19 and 20.
Jaycee member Chris Foeste is among the organizers of the event.
While you won't find this week's recipe on the grill, Chris said his Smoky Pimento Cheese spread can really give a brisket sandwich some zing.
Chris uses Smoked Chipotle Tabasco Sauce to add an additional hint of smoky flavor to his Pimento Cheese.
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup finely chopped bread & butter pickles
- 6 Tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons smoked chipotle Tabasco Sauce
- ½ cup drained chopped pimentos
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Add cheddar, Gruyere, cream cheese, mayonnaise and pickle juice to a large mixing bowl. Beat until mostly smooth.
Add chopped pickles, pimentos, Tabasco sauce, salt, pepper and cayenne and mix until combined.
Recipe makes approximately 4 ½ cups.
Serve with saltine crackers and brisket, or spread on a sandwich.