33 Weeks - Birth story for baby #1 - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

33 Weeks - Birth story for baby #1

Week 33 – Birth story for baby #1

Uh oh…this baby is going to have to come out eventually!! To be honest, I haven’t really thought about the birth of baby #2 that much yet. This past week, I met up with my doula and now it’s top of mind!! If you don’t know what a doula is…basically she is your support and guidance through labor and delivery. They are trained to help in natural births and I HIGHLY recommend having one if you plan on having a drug-free birth. I don’t know if I could have made it without her…I’ll explain more on that a little later.

First let’s talk about birth stories. I find them so interesting! It’s amazing to me because in the last few years I’ve heard so many birth stories…and EVERY SINGLE ONE IS DIFFERENT! I’ve also realized that when you are pregnant, every woman likes to tell you their horror story about birth…or their friend’s horror story...or something horrible they saw on TV. Ummm….maybe not the best time to bring these up! I totally get it though, because now I have my very own birth story. There is just something about them that are so special, so unique, and so real that you’ll pretty much tell anyone willing to listen!  =)  And guess what…this is my blog so you're stuck reading MY BIRTH STORY for the next few minutes! LOL.

My birth story begins 10 days after my daughter was due. Well, technically the story starts 9 days after her due date. I’m getting ahead of myself though…let’s start from the beginning of the end of being pregnant. Did you get that? Ha. About a week after my due date, my doctor was seriously talking to me about induction because of some of the risks of overdue babies. This was something I DID NOT WANT TO DO!!! My plan was to have a natural, drug-free birth and I knew if I was induced, it was going to make that journey WAY harder. Friday night, I finished Heartland News at 10 and made it home by 11 PM. I settled down to go to bed around midnight and that’s when it all started! Luckily she waited until I was off-air to start her little journey!!! I lost my mucus plug (gross) and started having contractions. They seemed to be happening every 10 to 15 minutes but were fairly inconsistent. They took my breath away, but I was still able to deal with them pretty well. They weren’t extremely painful, so I just laid in bed pretty much all night tracking them on my contraction app to make sure they weren’t getting closer together or stronger. At this point, I was in contact with my doula through much of the night and was comfortable just riding it out at home. 

Well not much changed through the day on Saturday. I was eating normal and doing all of the old wives tales to get labor going!! I went on a long walk, I ate something spicy and tried a few other things to see if we could get the party started. Saturday my contractions pretty much stayed the same all day.  And by “the same” I mean inconsistent. I had to stop what I was doing when they hit, but they still weren’t really necessarily getting closer together or stronger.  Honestly, at this point, I was feeling pretty good. My mom told me that for her when contractions started, they never got stronger, just closer together. By this point, I’ve been in labor for about 24 hours and I’m thinking “all right, I got this. I can totally do this.” Haha…that’s funny now looking back. Remember earlier when I said no two stories are alike…ummm yeah….let’s just say I didn’t not follow in my mother’s footsteps here. It’s now like 1ish Sunday morning and my contractions are about 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. My doula arrived and after observation we decided it was time to pack up and head out. My contractions were about three minutes apart and lasting one minute each. So, off to the hospital we go! That was pretty much the most uncomfortable car ride I’ve ever been on, and the hospital is only about 7 minutes away. My husband and I took all the “pre-birth” classes and felt pretty prepared, but somehow we both forgot what entrance we were supposed to go to! Your mind is just blank at this point, but luckily we got where we needed to be and were in our room around 3 AM. When I made it to the hospital, I was only 3cm dilated! What?!!!  3 cm?!!!! Ummm….maybe you should check again! I thought for sure that couldn’t be right, but it was. My contractions slowed down a little after I got to the hospital, which was to be expected. Luckily, I was able to have intermittent monitoring. (Another reason to have doula, I didn’t even know that was a possibility.) This was huge for me because lying in that hospital bed was THE WORST! I felt so much better when I was standing and walking around a little. Around 5 AM, I started vomiting EVERY. SINGLE. CONTRACTION!!!! I did not expect this! I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this pain was SO MUCH different than anything I had ever experienced. Therefore, my body took over and vomited from the pain. Luckily, my husband and my doula were troopers because when I was lying in bed being monitored, someone had to hold my…ehem…puke bowl. By 7 AM, I was 6 cm dilated and asking for the epidural!  I was over the pain and over the puking and really ready for it all to be over. This was another time when my doula was HUGE in my drug-free plan. She talked me off the ledge and helped me get back in control of my pain and breathing. I then took a little trip to a nice warm bath which seemed to help a bit. That helped me re-focus and calmed me down a little.  At 9 AM I was 9 cm dilated and they broke my water. By 10:31 AM, I was 10 cm dilated and beginning to feel “pushy.” Reality set in…to make this pain go away, I was going to have to push this baby out! What?! Where was I going to find the energy? How was I going to push past this pain?!! Remember, by this point I hadn’t slept since Thursday night…it’s now Sunday morning and I had thrown up everything in my system. The only thing I was able to keep down was a few bites of popsicle. I remember thinking just cut her out, please, let’s just get this over with!! I also remember thinking I was going to “hide” one of my contractions just so I could relax for a minute and not have to push.  Ummmm….yeah….you can’t really “hide” contractions, so that plan failed big time. After only about 30 minutes of pushing……just after 11 AM, it was all over…out came my perfect healthy baby girl! That was the absolute best feeling in the entire world. Looking at my husband and my tiny little girl is a memory and feeling I will never forget. It was all over and all of it was so worth it! The 32 hours of labor….pshhhh felt like no big thing!

If you are considering a natural, drug-free birth I HIGHLY recommend hiring a doula! I don’t know if I would have made it through without her. She is the voice of reason when reasoning seems impossible. Also, she helped my husband be an amazing coach. This was kind of unexpected. This wasn’t a birth where my husband could just play on his phone and chill out…nope he was right there by my side and part of the whole thing! That really created something special for me. She helped give him direction and confidence because I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him to watch me go through so much pain and not be able to really do anything about it. For all these reasons and many more, I’ve hired her again to help me make it through birth this time! I am hoping again to have a natural, drug-free birth. This time I’m hoping for a much shorter labor and if we could make A LOT of the pain go away too that would be great! =)    

You can click here to catch up on previous posts.

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly