HARRISBURG, IL (KFVS) - The Southeastern Illinois College Forensic Falcons started the new semester taking first place at the Butler University Bulldog Battle speech tournament in Indianapolis recently against major university competitors.
Southeastern captured the team championship with 202.5 points, besting second place was Ball State University with 173.5 points and third place went to Illinois State University with 106 points.
Other teams in attendance included McKendree University, Eastern Michigan University, Ohio University and Marian University.
Southeastern was the only community college in attendance.
The team is coached by Paul Cummins and Jenny Billman.
The Bulldog Battle marks another step toward the Phi Rho Pi National Tournament in Costa Mesa, California in April.
Individual results from the tournament are as follows:
- Preston Boone of Harrisburg: tournament champion in program oral interpretation, second place in poetry interpretation, and second place in duo interpretation (with partner Gabe Motsinger)
- Shay Wood of Shawneetown: tournament champion in dramatic interpretation and tournament champion in novice impromptu
- Carrice McDaniel of Harrisburg: fourth overall speaker, second place in communication analysis, fourth place in persuasive speaking, and sixth place in after dinner speaking
- Cassi Watkins of Harrisburg: tournament champion in informative speaking, sixth place in extemporaneous speaking, and sixth place overall speaker
- Adam Wasson of Herod: third place in duo interpretation (with partner Caleb Abbott) and fifth place in dramatic interpretation
- Alli Haley of Carmi: fourth place in dramatic interpretation and fourth place in duo interpretation (with partner Zeb Sanderson)
- Cassidy Maynard of Harrisburg: third place in communication analysis
- Gabe Motsinger of Harrisburg: second place in duo interpretation (with partner Preston Boone)
- Haley Rushing of Marion: second place in novice prose