CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - So, you're ready to jump start your health for 2016? Doctors from American Family Care offer these easy, do-it-yourself, home exercises to help!
- Plank - Sounds awful and it can really give you a stomach ache. Get into push-up position on the floor. Bend your elbows 90 degrees and rest your weight on your forearms. Lift your belly and make a straight line from your feet to your head. Hold this for two minutes. Yes, TWO MINUTES! It's harder than you think. This is supposed to strengthen your core.
- Sit, Rise and Stand - In this test, you sit on the floor with your legs crossed. Now, get up without using your hands to help you, if you can. This tests your strength, balance and flexibility. Good luck!
- Bad Breath Barometer - Sounds gross but you are supposed to scrape your tongue with a spoon, put the spoon in a plastic bag and then smell it. A fruity odor can point to diabetes, a fishy smell points to kidney problems and a sour smell can mean sleep apnea.
- Test of Time - This tests your mind. Start with a blank piece of paper, draw a clock, put in all the numbers and set the hands at 10 and 11. This tests cognitive abilities and can signal if an impairment is developing.
- Track your pulse - How strong is your heart rate? A weak pulse can be a sign of heart disease or other ailments. A normal heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.
Remember this, if you don't excel at any of these tests, don't freak out. If you think something is seriously wrong, ALWAYS talk to your doctor! Good luck and have a Happy New Year!