HARRISBURG, IL (KFVS) - Beginning on January 18, 2016 the U.S. Forest Service will be waiving fees at most day-use recreation sites at several different times throughout the year.
Fees will not be charged at any time on 98% of national forests and grasslands, and approximately two-thirds of developed recreation sites in national forests and grasslands can be used for free.
Fees are typically charged to help cover the cost of safe, clean facilities.
The Shawnee national Forest campgrounds included in the fee waiver are:
- Garden of the Gods
- Pounds Hollow
- Camp Cadiz
- Pine Hills
- Johnson Creek.
- The concessionaire operated campgrounds are not included in the fee waiver.
The days that the fees for those campgrounds are:
- January 18, 2016: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 15, 2016: President's Day
- June 11, 2016: national Get Outdoors Day
- September 24, 2016: National Public Lands Day
- November 11, 2016: Veterans Day