Cape Girardeau to rebuild bridge after flooding makes sinkhole w - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Cape Girardeau to rebuild bridge after flooding makes sinkhole worse

The New Year Flood created two sinkholes on South Sprigg Street in Cape Girardeau and widened a previous sinkhole. (Source: Jasmine Dell/KFVS) The New Year Flood created two sinkholes on South Sprigg Street in Cape Girardeau and widened a previous sinkhole. (Source: Jasmine Dell/KFVS)
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

The New Year Flood created two new sinkholes and widened a previous sinkhole in Cape Girardeau.

The city is planning a $4 million project to repair the bridge on South Sprigg Street during the summer of 2016.

Plans for repairs on the South Sprigg Street bridge were made in early 2013 after the bridge closed in 2012, said Assistant Public Works Director Stanley Polivick.

“We’re actually going to extend the length of the current bridge quite a bit to virtually bridge over the area where the sinkholes have been forming for a number of years,” Polivick said.

The money for bridge rebuilding will come from a federal disaster declaration that still needs approval from Congress. Federal money will reimburse the City of Cape Girardeau 80 percent and the other 20 percent will come from the city. 

Tuesday, Buzzi Unicem USA worked on building a levee around the widening sinkhole near the bridge. Workers moved dirt around the sinkholes to make the ground around it higher. The levees will reduce the amount of water going into a nearby rock quarry.

“We’re excited that we are going to be able to put in a structure that won’t be affected by future sinkhole formation if those occur and predictably they will,” Polivick said.

Polivick said the continuous damage from the sinkholes, around the closed bridge, creates longer transportation for businesses, residents and solid waste employees in that area.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2016 KFVS. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT
    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

  • Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:21 PM EDT2017-08-23 22:21:40 GMT
    Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

  • Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:10 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:10:56 GMT
    (Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)(Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

Powered by Frankly