'Tis the season for decorating disasters - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

'Tis the season for decorating disasters

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

Thanksgiving is just a few days away and once it wraps up many of us will spend this weekend decorating for the next major holiday: Christmas.

It can be a beautiful time of year, but also hazardous.

Extension cords and Christmas tree fires are major concerns.

We're reminded of this warning every single year, but fires caused by faulty or overloaded extension cords continue to be an issue.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates about 3,300 residential fires are caused by faulty extension cords each year and these accidents result in about 50 deaths.

Professionals say they see the same mistakes made year after year.

People are overloading their extension cords and using nails to hang up their lights.

These days, C.B. Fork with Lawn designs said there are safer alternatives.

“A lot of the new products are LED, that makes it a lot easier. You don't run near the risk of having electrical issues if you are using LED products. But the big key is just making sure you keep everything split up so that you don't blow any circuits,” said Fork.

Cape Girardeau Fire Chief Rick Ennis has a few tips to avoid accidents.

He said to unplug them if you're not home and never run cords under rugs.

Chief Ennis said while the lights are more expensive, LED lights are a safer alternative because they don't heat up and could save you a lot more money in the long run.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly