MISSOURI (KFVS) - Heating equipment, including fireplaces and wood stoves, cause home fires every year.
That's why the Missouri Insurance Information Service is offering basic safety precautions.
- A metal screen should be kept in front of the fireplace.
- Never use flammable liquids or burn charcoal.
- Keep the fireplace and chimney clean of tars and creosote.
- After a fire, be careful of how you dispose of ashes and embers.
- Never overfill or overfire the wood stove.
- Do not burn trash, which can overheat the stove.
You should also install and maintain approved smoke detectors.
Following these suggestions and taking precautions can save your property and perhaps, a life.