MURPHYSBORO, IL (KFVS) - A Murphysboro, Illinois woman was rescued from her home after her oven caught fire.
According to the Jackson County Sheriff's Department, on Wednesday, Oct. 21 at about 8:12 a.m., they received a call from Mary Jones, 80, of rural Murphysboro.
"I guess my hand brushed the self cleaning part and I had put some plastic bowls in there just to store them. And they caught on fire in two minutes," Jones said.
Jones told them her oven was on fire and she was physically unable to get out of her home.
"Yes, I'm thankful," Jones said.
Deputies say they arrived on scene and found the home consumed with smoke. They went into the home, found Jones and got her out.
Sgt. Ken Lindsey was one of the deputies that responded.
"We able to get there within just minutes after the call," Lindsey said. "We pulled her away from the stove and got her out the back door to some fresh air."
Deputies, with the assistance of family members who arrived shortly after they did, extinguished the fire.
Murphysboro Pomona Somerset Fire Department and the Ava Fire Department arrived and made the scene safe.
"It's good to hear a thank you. It makes it worthwhile to get up in the morning and put this suit on," Lindsey said. "With the bad elements that we do have to deal with it's always nice to have good thing that comes out of the day where you feel like you made a difference and you are appreciated."
Jackson County paramedics arrived and assessed Jones for injury. Deputies say she was released at the scene.