Man sentenced to 4 more years in prison after resisting arrest

Man sentenced to 4 more years in prison after resisting arrest

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - A man has been sentenced to four more years in prison for resisting arrest.

Cortez Bell, 38, was sentenced to four more years in prison on Monday, Oct. 19. The four-year term will be served consecutively to an underlying 15 years sentence.

According to Cape Girardeau County Prosecuting Attorney Christopher K. Limbaugh, Judge Michael Gardner chose the sentence to run consecutive and not concurrently to the 15 year sentence due to the fact that Bell believed committing further criminal acts would not matter since he was going to prison anyway.

According to Limbaugh, on March 9, 2012, Bell was sentenced to 15 years in prison after he was convicted by a jury for distribution of a controlled substance. He was convicted in that case as a prior and persistent felon.

After being sentenced, Bell filed a notice of appeal and his appellate bond was set at $100,000.

Bell posted bond while his conviction was reviewed by the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern  District of Missouri.

After the conviction was upheld by the Court of Appeals, Bell failed to appear and surrender himself to the Department of Corrections in November 2013.

A new arrest warrant was issued for Bell and set a new bond at $500,000.

Since that time, Limbaugh said Bell has absconded until he was caught by Cape Girardeau police on June 2. 2015.

According to court documents, in June, officers received information that Bell was in a red Chevy Cavalier at Village on the Green.

Officers say the car was spotted as it went west through Cape Girardeau. They say the car went west through Arena Park at a high rate of speed. It was then seen turning south on East Rodney and going west again on Themis.

As officers approached in their patrol car, they say the car made a southbound turn onto Pindwood and again began speeding.

When the car approached the intersection of Pindwood and Independence, officers say the driver did not make a complete stop and did not use a turn signal.

Officers say the car accelerated west from the 2800 block of Independence past several apartment parking lots and abruptly turned into a parking lot at the building where two people got out of the car.

It was then that Bell tried to run and break free from the officer, which resulted in the resisting arrest charge.

According to court documents, Bell also said at that time that it didn't matter that he was being charged for resisting arrest because he was going to prison anyway.

The driver of the car, 55-year-old Maurice Braxton, was wanted on a warrant for traffic offenses. Officers say he admitted that his driver's license was suspended.

Braxton was also arrested and taken to police headquarters.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.