Cape Girardeau home catches fire, no one injured - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Cape Girardeau home catches fire, no one injured

(Source: Mike Mohundro, KFVS) (Source: Mike Mohundro, KFVS)
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

A home in Cape Girardeau is severely damaged after an unattended stove set the house ablaze on Saturday.

Cape Girardeau Fire Battalion Chief Fred Vincell says the resident of the home apparently left what she was cooking unattended in the kitchen.

That cooking led to a fire at around 12:30 p.m. which soon after had flames pouring out of the windows. 

The home sits in the 500 block of S. Pacific Street at the corner of College Street.

Vincell says only the woman was home with her dog but they got out safely. 

Cape Girardeau Fire Department battled the blaze with the help of Jackson and Scott City Fire Departments.

Other fire departments also came in to help man the Cape Fire Stations because so many Cape fire fighters were on scene. 

Vincell says there was an extensive amount of fire and smoke damage throughout the home. 

The house actually has three roofs layered on top of one another.

This caused fire fighters to have to rip through various parts of the home inside so to gain access to confined areas where the fire traveled. 

Fire fighters were on scene for two hours and wrapped up a little after 230.

Neither the owner nor any fire fighters were hurt in the blaze.  

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly